To join in the Great British Bake Off excitement, why not try making your own showstopper this weekend? Here’s a recipe for a classic Victoria Sponge cake, traditionally named after Queen Victoria, who was known to enjoy a slice of this cake with her cup of afternoon tea.
Classic Victoria Sponge Recipe
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of milk (optional)
- 2 tbsps raspberry jam
- Icing sugar to dust on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs in one at a time.
- Sift the flour & baking powder into the mixture and combine.
- Finally mix in the vanilla extract. You may need a dash of milk if the mixture seems a little stiff.
- Alternatively whizz all of the ingredients together in a food processor until creamy.
- Divide between 2 x 20cm cake tins and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden on top.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a baking rack.
- When cool, sandwich together with the raspberry jam, sprinkle icing sugar on top and enjoy!